The real partnership between the local community and ASEZA is a vital issue in the process of development. This partnership is considered a productive aspect in providing all means of continuity for this relation based on developing human resources in all aspects and improving the educational and housing sectors. The aim of ASEZA is to unite all developmental efforts of all local and domestic partners in Aqaba and the surrounding areas related in a clear, effective and institutional context.
The following strategic goals of the local community development directorate has been specified as follows (2007-2010):
- Organizing and uniting developmental efforts in social, cultural, educational, sports and youth work.
- Organizing the work of local community organizations and establishments and providing the support to achieve their goals through providing services for all age groups.
- Enhancing and affecting the cultural knowledge of the local community.
- Introduce the successful work of small and medium sized enterprises in the Zone, and encourage the local community to do the same through effective partnership between the directorates and relevant financial institutions.
- Study the needs of the educational sector whether in infrastructure or technical aspects needed for the development of the educational process.
- Orientation and encouragement of the locals to work.
The local community development directorate provides programs and services for the locals after grouping them as follows:
- Non-governmental Organizations (NGOs)
The directorate provided support for this group in the year 2007 as follows:
- Execution and financing training courses for local community welfare organizations and preparing feasibility study for Al-Rabieh workshop.
- Providing an overall assessment for the performance of welfare organizations along with relevant parties in order to get introduced to the main problems of these organizations and suggest solutions. Moreover; prepare statistical programs connected to the internet.
- Technical support for the co-operative societies whereas the number of experts provided in co-relation with (Pam) in the year 2007 was five experts for the purpose of introducing technical training and guidance.
- Provide training courses in computer, languages, and different life skills for around 346 youth, and provide 720 jobs in different fields, 450 people submitted and 239 were employed.
- Arranging several guiding and instructional sessions and meetings in different fields.
- Support sporting clubs and provide skilled trainers as well as launching championships and other sporting activities.
- Support activities and youth programs.
Believing that investing in education is essential to build a stronger community, ASEZA launched in collaboration with the private sector the public school adoption program in its aim to achieve progress and development of education in the Zone; thus providing financial and technical support for education and promote good educational environment through encouraging the adoption of public schools by the private sector which positively upgrades education and social aspects. Moreover; ASEZA participated in carrying this social responsibility through attempting investment to be reflected on social development. 20 out of 60 schools in Aqaba has been adopted by 16 companies through implementing maintenance for these schools or giving private lessons for weak students and providing scholarships for the teachers.
ASEZA also provides scholarships for teachers to study Information technology and open summer schools for students. It also provide school equipment and bags and clothes for students as well as recognizing distinguished teachers and students.
This sector provides services libraries and cultural services department. During this year, twenty thousand visitors visited the public library. More than 30 video and TV documentaries has been presented for both visitors and students. 35 delegations attended, moreover two book exhibitions and three plays have been introduced. ASEZA also support the mobile children library which completed 32 visits to urban areas and schools in the governorate.
Haya cultural center which hosted around 8000 visitors – (15) school trips- and several cultural activities.
- Special Needs
This sector has been supported by (68609) Jordan dinars as follows :
- 60 wheelchairs.
- The Eid clothes for special need children.
- Creating two classes for the blind.
- Equipment provided for health centers in Aqaba and the surrounding areas.
- Electronic clocks and water coolers have been provided to Mosques.
ASEZA aims at providing support for the locals seeking job opportunities and provides continuous technical guidance and orientation for them, also, prepare them for work and help them find jobs through continuous coordination with employers and investors by introducing skilled candidates to these companies and carrying on interviews and provide space as well as equipment needed for such interviews.
ASEZA, through the local Community development directorate support job seekers by giving them training which helps them in finding jobs, such as ICDL and English Conversation Course, and English for hotel business as well as courses in public security and vocational health, also, courses aimed at writing CVs and how to prepare for an interview and any other courses appertaining which can help locals in finding a job.
The Local Community Development Directorate / Job Support department/ provides programs aimed at introducing those looking for jobs and their families with the opportunities available and the expected opportunities and introduce them with the importance of cooperating with investors, organizations, non governmental authorities and companies operating within ASEZ.
With the support of ASEZA/ The center for work development (Maharat Program) trains and employ fresh graduates of Jordan University for six months in small and medium size enterprises, 80% of the salary is paid by them and only 20% of the salary is paid by the company itself provided that the salary shall not be less than JD 200 during training period after which the trainee studies different subjects such as (Time management, customer service, Human resources and other subjects) which helps him in seeking opportunities available in the market and prepare himself for such opportunities.
- Civil foundations support sector
In its attempt to improve the social and economical standards of the local community, ASEZA organized all the developmental efforts available to achieve this goal in the Zone.
As a part of its role in the local community development process, ASEZA initiated a program in which non-governmental organizations are able to improve there skills, were an overall study is carried on and a plan is set in collaboration with all partners to provide there needs in order to improve there skills. Training programs has been set for improving skills and at the end of the program special financial aids are provided for projects aimed at helping the local community, and to fulfill these goals, the civil foundations support sector provides financial aid and technical support for productive projects.
- Youth and Sports
The directorate provides a personality building program targeted for age group 18-25 in which this group achieve skills in order to be more mature and aware of the changes around and their responsibilities towards their society, they are also introduced to the concept of youth initiative which helps in recognizing their liability towards improving their society.
The youth carry on sessions in groups represented by a sample from Aqaba to encourage them to participate in the changes around, in addition, participants train other youth on the skills they attained.
The program also includes enforcing youth initiatives carried on priority basis.
The directorate provides different voluntary programs and trainings aimed at preparing skilled individuals in case of emergencies and natural disasters. First aid, accident prevention skills and evacuation skills programs has been held, after which a group of volunteers will run different programs that aim at helping the local community. In addition to the program concerning jobs available in aqaba, a group of volunteers are trained to execute this program aimed towards those looking for jobs and there families.
Workshops, trainings and meetings with officials have been carried out for the purpose of providing the youth with knowledge and skills which can assist in improving their qualities of life.
Moreover, ASEZA provides support to different sporting clubs for running championships through offering monthly bonuses for coaches of different sports such as football, basketball, and table tennis, and providing the necessary equipment, in addition to recognizing distinguished players. Youth organizations are also provided with the necessities which reflect positively on all youth activities.
- Special Needs
ASEZA continuously support People with special needs, classes has been established for the blind, children with autism, and the hearing-impaired, additionally, offering visual and hearing aids, and kinetic devices.
The services provided are as follows:
- Distributing hearing aids (earpieces and their batteries), Kinetic devices (Wheel chairs, canes, artificial …….), and visual aids.
- Assist those with special needs and referring them to specialists, and performing surgeries when needed.
- Assist in making projects and establishing units aimed towards assisting those with special needs.
- Launching (theoretical and practical) training courses aimed at creating awareness to those with special needs and their families.
- Grant special funds to help local community organizations and establishments that work with the special needs.
- Inviting specialists for discussing main issues concerning those with special needs.